Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Kale and Mushroom Lasagna in the Crock Pot

I love my crock pot. I may be an addict. So this recipe already had one thing going for it. Make it vegetarian and done! I was sold.

My husband's exact words about this lasagna:"It was possibly the best food I've ate period. I loved that is was delicious and healthy and filling. I couldn't stop eating."

Me? Well, I thought it was pretty good, however, at the request of my husband, I added artichokes which I think I may try without next time. The taste was fine, however, once and a while I would bite into a harder part of the artichoke heart and that I did not enjoy. :/ Still, delicious and I would recommend it!

Originally from Savoring the Thyme.

However, I did change a few things. Enjoy!


Vegetarian Kale and Mushroom Lasagna in the Crock Pot

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 container of Ricotta Cheese
4-5 ounces of low-fat cottage cheese
1 large egg
1 cup coarsely chopped Kale and Spinach leaves (I used a combo, but could just be one or the other)
8 oz. mushroom, roughly minced
30 oz. of marinara sauce. (I used on jar of vodka sauce from Trader Joe's.. Next time I will add another half or full jar)
lasagna noodles (whole-wheat preferred), uncooked
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (I probably used more. I tossed in a handful into the ricotta/cottage cheese mixture and then covered the top of the lasagna)
Coarse salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 can artichoke hearts, chopped

Directions:

1. Saute onion, green pepper and garlic in olive oil until soft. (I also added the artichoke for a couple minutes to soften it)

2. Meanwhile combine ricotta, cottage cheese, egg, kale and mushrooms in a large bowl. Mix the saute mixture into the ricotta mixture and mix well. Can add shredded Parmesan for extra cheese. 
3.Cover the bottom of the crock pot with marinara sauce. Place noodles over the sauce, overlapping them slightly and breaking into pieces as necessary to fill up the space.
4. Spread some of the ricotta-vegetable mixture over the noodles followed by some marinara sauce. Repeat until you have used up all of the luscious ingredients.
5. Sprinkle the Parmesan or cheddar on top and set the slow-cooker on high for 2 hours (or 4 hours on low). 


No comments:

Post a Comment